- About us
- Get involved
- Help & advice
- Fun & Learning
Battersea’s top ten Chihuahua tips
Battersea gives its top tens Chihuahua tips
- 01 October 2012
- Battersea Dogs & Cats Home
Did you see troubled Chihuahua Bobby in tonight’s episode (01 October) of Paul O’Grady: for the Love of Dogs? Ali Taylor, Head of Canine Welfare Training at Battersea and owner of two Chihuahuas, has put together her top ten Chihuahua tips for those who own a Chihuahua or think they’d like to get one.
- Do your homework before getting a dog and make sure you choose a breed that suits your lifestyle and experience.
- Make sure you provide your Chihuahua with plenty of mental and physical stimulation.
- Socialisation and training is a must to make sure your Chihuahua is well adjusted to life.
- Avoid mollycoddling your dog too much or he could take over the home. Make sure you set the rules and reward positive behaviour.
- Avoid carrying your pooch everywhere: allow them to walk on lead.
- Wrap up warm for the winter: these little dogs can feel the chill.
- Make sure you feed your Chihuahua an appropriate diet to keep him healthy.
- Get your dog registered with a vet, microchipped, neutered, insured and wearing a collar and tag (a legal requirement for all dogs).
- Keep a close eye on your Chihuahua as they are easy to trip over.
- Think small: Your Chihuahua sees things much differently to us.
- Treat your Chihuahua like a canine and not a Diva.