Cat Birthday Cake Recipe
15 APRIL 2020
Whether it’s a birthday or rescue anniversary, our cat-friendly birthday cake is the perfect way to spoil your cat on a special occasion.
This recipe only uses a few ingredients and doesn’t require any baking, so it’s super easy to make! Remember that this should only be given to your cat as an occasional treat and should be fed to them alongside a well-balanced diet. It’s not suitable for cats with special dietary requirements.
For the cake
- 50g sweet potato, mashed
- Half a tin of tuna in spring water, drained
- 1tsp plain flour
For the decoration
- 1 potato, mashed
- Meaty stick for a candle (Stick-shaped cat treat)
- Peel and chop your sweet potato, then boil in a saucepan of water until soft. This will take around 10-15 minutes. Once thoroughly cooked through, leave to cool completely and then mash until smooth, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Drain a tin of tuna in spring water (make sure you don’t use tuna in oil or brine; spring water is the healthiest option for your cat). Add half of the tin to a mixing bowl, then add your cooled sweet potato mash, followed by the flour. Mix everything together.
- Place a round cookie cutter on a small plate and line both with baking paper (If you don’t have a cookie cutter, you can line the empty tuna tin with some clingfilm and use this as a mould, just watch out for any sharp edges). Spoon the mixture into the lined ring and spread it out evenly. Put this in the fridge to set for 10 minutes.
- Next, make your “frosting”. Peel, cook and mash your potato, ensuring that it’s thoroughly cooked through and that once mashed there are no lumps. Leave to cool then loosen with a little water before spooning into a piping bag.
- Take your cake out of the fridge and remove from the mould. Pipe the cooled mash on top to decorate. If it’s a birthday cake, you can add a meaty stick-shaped cat treat for a candle. Serve to your cat at room temperature, as cats prefer that their food isn’t fridge cold.