A Beagle good start as Battersea Brands Hatch sends its first dog home in 2017
Battersea Dogs & Cats Home in Brands Hatch, Kent, has rehomed its first dog of 2017 to local Erith resident, Ray Green, and it couldn’t be a happier ending for a very bewildered Beagle.
Molly, now renamed Holly, a seven-year-old Beagle caught the eye of Ray and his family just after Christmas. She’d had a tough start in life, after coming into Battersea in a poor condition having previously been used for breeding multiple litters. Holly had been kept in outdoor kennels for most of her life. She wasn’t house trained, she was nervous and she wasn’t used to going out on walks and meeting new people.
The staff and volunteers at Brands Hatch worked with Holly to gradually build her confidence and get her used to being out and about, and before long she was enjoying her daily walks and having a good sniff around like a true Beagle.
Ray helped her start the New Year with a new home and new life, taking her home to Erith on 1 January 2017. He explains: “I picked out Holly because she’s an older and quieter dog. She makes the ideal companion for me as I am disabled. She’s been good as gold since she’s been home with us. It’s only been a week so she’s still a bit nervous, but is coming out of her shell a bit more now, wagging her tail and going to her food by herself. We have two big fields nearby so we take her for walks everyday where it’s a bit quieter. She’s settling in lovely and likes to sleep a lot!”
Anna Hemmings, Centre Manager at Battersea Brands Hatch, commented: “It’s always extra special when we see a dog go to a good home at the start of the new year, especially as Holly’s got a very sad back story. We hope Holly enjoys her new life and now has the freedom to be the Beagle she can be!”
Battersea Brands Hatch currently has three other Beagles looking for their forever home. Beagles are a common breed who often come in to the rescue centre. Anyone interested in giving our Beagles, or any other dogs, a new start in life, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and images please contact 020 7627 9332 or email email@example.com
Notes to editors
- Battersea Brands Hatch was opened in 1999.
- The Brands Hatch centre typically cares for around 45 dogs and 30 cats at one time.
- Established in 1860, Battersea Dogs & Cats Home aims never to turn away a dog or cat in need of our help, caring for them until their owners or loving new homes can be found, no matter how long it takes. We are champions for, and supporters of, vulnerable dogs and cats, determined to create lasting changes for animals in our society.
- Since it was founded, Battersea has rescued, reunited and rehomed over 3.1 million dogs and cats.
- In 2015 the Home cared for over 8000 dogs and cats.
- Battersea cares for an average of 260 dogs and 220 cats across its three centres at any one time.
- There is no time limit on how long an animal can stay at the charity but the average stay for a dog is 30 days and 22 days for a cat.
- Battersea Dogs & Cats Home receives no central government funding towards the care of its dogs and cats and relies on the generosity and support of the public to help care for lost and abandoned dogs & cats. To make a donation visit our website or call 0207 627 7883.
- For further information on Battersea Dogs & Cats Home please visit www.battersea.org.uk.
- Follow Battersea on Twitter @BDCH or facebook.com/Battersea