Homeless Honey marks two years at Battersea Brands Hatch
22 MARCH 2017
Dogs come and go every day at Battersea Dogs & Cats Home, finding new homes with loving families. In 2016, 359 dogs were rehomed from Battersea at the Brands Hatch site in Kent. Some find homes almost as soon as they arrive, but for those who have been left behind, it’s up to the Battersea Brands Hatch staff to make their stay that little bit more enjoyable while they wait their turn.
One of these dogs is poor Honey. Honey is an eight-year-old Jack Russell Terrier cross Chihuahua who has been at Battersea Brands Hatch for two whole years watching her kennelmates find new homes. So, the staff at the world-famous rescue centre decided to mark her 730-day anniversary by throwing her a little party, although for Honey it’s bittersweet.
Little Honey has the enthusiasm of a Jack Russell Terrier and the sensitive side of a Chihuahua. She’s easily overwhelmed and can become quite anxious in new environments. Staff at Battersea Brands Hatch know a different side to her, however, as Honey can be a little bundle of fun and full of energy - showing her true Jack Russell traits.
New owners will need to be patient with Honey and let her take the lead when she’s feeling uncomfortable. She needs someone who’s willing to take their time getting to know her and understand why she lacks confidence at times.
With a bit of time and tender loving care, Honey will come out of her shell and show her owners the true meaning of love and affection. Could you give Honey a home?
Anna Hemmings, Centre Manager at Battersea Brands Hatch, commented: “Honey has spent two long years with us at Brands Hatch. As lovely as it is seeing her every day and seeing the improvement from her specialised training we provide her, we all just really want Honey to go to a good home.
“Honey is very sweet with a bit of an anxious side but we all know once she’s comfortable in her environment, she can be very lively and energetic! Ideally she’s looking for someone who lives in a quiet rural area where she has the freedom to roam around in peace.”
For more information on Honey please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and images please contact 020 7627 9332 or email email@example.com
Notes to editors
- Battersea Brands Hatch was opened in 1999.
- The Brands Hatch centre typically cares for around 45 dogs and 30 cats at any one time.
- Established in 1860, Battersea Dogs & Cats Home aims never to turn away a dog or cat in need of our help, caring for them until their owners or loving new homes can be found, no matter how long it takes. We are champions for, and supporters of, vulnerable dogs and cats, determined to create lasting changes for animals in our society.
- Since it was founded, Battersea has rescued, reunited and rehomed over 3.1 million dogs and cats.
- In 2016 the Home cared for over 7000 dogs and cats.
- Battersea cares for an average of 270 dogs and 200 cats across its three centres at any one time.
- There is no time limit on how long an animal can stay at the charity but the average stay for a dog is 35 days and 22 days for a cat.
- A team of over 1000 volunteers help at Battersea’s three centres, in roles including dog and cat socialising, gardening, admin support and giving talks in the community.
- Battersea Dogs & Cats Home rehomes dogs and cats all over the UK.
- Battersea Dogs & Cats Home receives no central government funding towards the care of its dogs and cats and relies on the generosity and support of the public to help care for lost and abandoned dogs & cats. To make a donation visit our website or call 0207 627 7883.
- For further information on Battersea Dogs & Cats Home please visit www.battersea.org.uk.
- Follow Battersea on Twitter @BDCH or facebook.com/Battersea