Nottingham Muddy Dog Challenge raises over £76,000 for Battersea
This weekend saw over 650 animal lovers and their dogs travel across the country to take part in Battersea Dogs & Cats Home’s Muddy Dog Challenge at the beautiful Wollaton Park in Nottingham and raise an incredible £76,000 for the charity.
The fun-filled day, proudly supported by LV=, saw participants and their four-legged friends crawl, climb, wade and jump over 16 obstacles at the 2.5k and 5k course.
They included Alhanna Shepherd who travelled from Doncaster to take part in the challenge alongside her dog named Keola. Their special story began two years ago, when the four-year-old Akita began acting unusually around a pregnant Alhanna. Alhanna believed Keola could sense something was wrong and went to hospital to be checked out. She was found to have a life-threatening infection, but thankfully it was spotted in time and Alhanna fully recovered and went on to have a baby boy. The pair took part in Saturday’s event and raised an incredible £400 for Battersea’s homeless dogs and cats.
Other participants included mother and daughter Karen Ramsey and Kristie Hosie, who travelled all the way from Essex and Hull to take part in the 5k challenge alongside their Labradors, seven-year-old Chip and nine-year-old Sammy. The pair, who love agility, wanted to take on a challenge together and raise money for the charity.
Battersea’s Senior Challenge & Public Events Manager, Emma Lovesey, said: “Battersea’s Muddy Dog Challenge returned to Nottingham for the second year running over the weekend, where dog lovers have helped to raise an incredible £76,000 for the charity.
“It was a wonderful event full of cheer, laughter and joy, and we can’t thank all of the 650 participants enough for their fundraising efforts. Their support will help Battersea continue to care for over 7,000 homeless dogs and cats every year.”
Places are still available at the Manchester, Peterborough, Cardiff and Tunbridge Wells Muddy Dog Challenges. To sign up, visit https://muddydog.battersea.org.uk/.
For more information and images please contact 020 7627 9333 or email email@example.com
Notes to editors
About Battersea Dogs & Cats Home and the Muddy Dog Challenge
• You can find out more about the Muddy Dog Challenge at muddydog.battersea.org.uk
• Money raised from the Muddy Dog Challenge will go towards helping the thousands of dogs and cats that come through Battersea’s doors each year.
• Battersea is here for every dog and cat, and has been since 1860. Since it was founded over 150 years ago, Battersea has rescued, reunited and rehomed over 3.1 million dogs and cats.
• Battersea rehomes dogs and cats all over the UK
• We believe that every dog and cat deserves the best. That’s why we aim to never turn away a dog or cat in need.
• In 2017, Battersea helped over 7,000 dogs and cats.
• Battersea cares for an average of 300 dogs and 200 cats across its three centres at any one time.
• In addition to the site in South West London, Battersea also has two other centres based at Old Windsor, Berkshire and Brands Hatch, Kent.
• Follow Battersea on Twitter @battersea_ or facebook.com/Battersea
• LV= is the proud sponsor of the Battersea Muddy Dog Challenge and have been for the last three years.
• LV= are a leading financial services provider and a mutual, employing over 6,200 people. We have over 5.8 million customers, 1.1 million of whom are our members. Our customers hold a variety of products with us including insurance, investment and retirement solutions.
• As the third largest car insurer in the UK we are best known for our car insurance but our general insurance business offers a wide range of insurance products over the phone, online, via brokers and through partners.