Vacancy: Queen Jessie’s recruiting for loyal subjects
When Her Majesty The Queen’s birthday parade takes place this Saturday (17 June), the other queen at Battersea Dogs & Cats Home in Brands Hatch will be watching from her foster home in Kent.
Queen Jessie, as she’s sometimes known, is a cat at Battersea Brands Hatch and has been searching for her royal subjects for well over 140 days – making her the longest reigning feline resident across all three sites.
The average stay for a cat at Battersea Brands Hatch is 28 days, but poor Jessie has been at the world-famous animal rescue centre in Kent for five times as long. So far in 2017, Jessie has had to reign from the side-lines while 90 other cats have found their human servants.
Queen Jessie is a 12-year-old Domestic Short-hair who is black except for a little white spot on her chest and foot. She first came into Battersea when her previous owner’s living circumstances changed.
This cat expects the finer things in life. She’s been known to put her servants in place from time to time if they displease her, but if one follows by her rules, Queen Jessie will reward her people by sitting next to them – sometimes. Jessie is a no-messing, straight-talking, independent woman who knows what she wants. Despite her age, she still likes to regularly inspect her grounds, so a garden is a must in her household.
Don’t judge a book by its cover though, Queen Jessie was a very nervous and scared cat when she first came into Battersea. She’s a very proud cat, and would never admit it, but deep down she just desperately wants someone who is understanding and can provide a strong support network.
Once her people have pledged their allegiance to her, she’ll show affection in her own special way, but one thing’s for sure – she’ll be a friend for life.
Anna Hemmings, Centre Manager at Battersea Brands Hatch, said: “Jessie has been at Battersea for far too long - cats come and go here but she’s one of our longest residents by a long way. Stick with Queen Jessie because she’s actually a very sweet cat looking for a quiet home with a patient companion, and once she’s comfortable with you, she’ll be your best friend forever.”
Queen Jessie is currently on a private holiday with her foster carer so please email email@example.com if you are interested in rehoming her.
For more information and images please contact 020 7627 9332 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes to editors
- Established in 1860, Battersea Dogs & Cats Home aims never to turn away a dog or cat in need of our help, caring for them until their owners or loving new homes can be found, no matter how long it takes. We are champions for, and supporters of, vulnerable dogs and cats, determined to create lasting changes for animals in our society.
- Since it was founded, Battersea has rescued, reunited and rehomed over 3.1 million dogs and cats.
- In 2016 the Home cared for over 7000 dogs and cats.
- Battersea cares for an average of 270 dogs and 200 cats across its three centres at any one time.
- There is no time limit on how long an animal can stay at the charity but the average stay for a dog is 35 days and 22 days for a cat.
- In addition to the site in South West London, the Home also has two other centres based at Old Windsor, Berkshire and Brands Hatch, Kent.
- Battersea Dogs & Cats Home receives no central government funding towards the care of its dogs and cats and relies on the generosity and support of the public to help care for lost and abandoned dogs & cats. To make a donation visit our website or call 0207 627 7883.
- For further information on Battersea Dogs & Cats Home please visit www.battersea.org.uk.
- Follow Battersea on Twitter @BDCH or facebook.com/Battersea