Gardening Volunteer – Old Windsor
- Reference:Gardening Volunteer – Old Windsor
- Location:Old Windsor
- Posts available:
- Full/Part time:Volunteer
- Contract type:Volunteer
- Closing date:Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Why does Battersea Old Windsor need Gardening volunteers?
We are looking for volunteers who possess a love for dogs and their welfare as well as a passion and knowledge of gardening to assist in keeping our Old Windsor site looking both attractive and enjoyable to everyone, our dogs included.
This role will assist our Maintenance team in the upkeep of various areas around the Home, including pots, flower beds, borders, woodland, trees, rose bushes and window boxes in natural surroundings with wildlife-friendly vegetation.
What would I be doing?
- Watering, weeding and deadheading the various pots, borders and beds around the centre.
- Caring for various types of flowers, rose bushes, shrubs and fruit trees around the centre, including several that require specific care
- Maintaining walking routes, grass areas and footpaths including pruning trees, cutting back undergrowth and weeding.
Are there any skills or experience that I would need?
- Experience of and a passion for gardening. Specialist knowledge on caring for a variety of plants and managing potential diseases would be usefu
- A friendly demeanour and willingness to engage with people is perfect for this role
- Attention to detail
- Well-developed communication skills, both oral and written
- Comfortable around dogs
What training will I get?
- Support from the Maintenance staff at Battersea Old Windsor
- Run down on all gardening tasks
- Volunteering briefing including information about Battersea, volunteering and Health and Safety on site
- All gardening tools and equipment will be provided by the Home
- A volunteer uniform will also be provided by the Home
Where would I be volunteering?
This role is based at Battersea Dogs and Cats Home Old Windsor, Priest Hill, Englefield Green, Windsor SL4 2JN.
Travel expenses to and from volunteering will be reimbursed. Public transport is the recommended method of travel but driving can be claimed at 45p per mile if travelling by car.
How much time would this role need from me?
We are asking for a shift of four hours a week. Days may be flexible depending on availability. We ask for a minimum three month commitment to support us but of course we always hope you continue for longer.
How can I apply for this role?
If you are interested in this role please complete our online application form before the closing date of midnight on Tuesday 18 June and we reserve the right to close the role early. We will hold interviews for this role on Monday 24 June (individual times to be given at point of invitation) and the Induction will be held on Monday 1 July 10:00 – 13:00.