WHY ADOPTING A BATTERSEA DOG COULD HELP YOU BE HAPPIER AND HEALTHIER IN 2019
This New Year, Battersea Dogs & Cats Home are encouraging those who can to adopt a dog, in a bid to improve their own lifestyle while changing a dog’s life at the same time.
Every New Year, millions of people across the world will set themselves resolutions to lead a happier and healthier lifestyle. Promising to lose weight, get fitter and look after our mental health are all some of the most common goals and rehoming a rescue dog can help tick all those boxes.
Research shows that owning a dog can reduce the risk of heart disease by 23%. The exercise that dog ownership brings can also promote weight loss and lower blood pressure, leading to better physical health.
In addition, dog ownership has proven to be good for our mental health. Dog walking and training classes encourages people to be more sociable with one and other, tackling loneliness and isolation.
Just relaxing with your dog increases oxytocin production, which is known as the ‘happy hormone’. Once this is released, it has a calming effect throughout the body, helping people to feel less stressed.
Ali Taylor, Head of Canine Behaviour at Battersea, says:
“So many people will set themselves New Year’s resolutions to lead a healthier lifestyle this year, and what better way to do it than to change the life of a rescue dog at the same time?”
“Owning a dog can not only lead to a healthier lifestyle, but a happier one too. All of the dogs here are hoping for a second chance at a happy life, and have so much love to give, we don’t doubt that they could make someone’s 2019 happier.”
“We’d encourage anyone who is in the position to adopt a dog, to consider getting one from Battersea. There are such a vast variety of dogs here looking for homes. Whether you’re looking to head out on long walks, or just a potter around the corner, we are dedicated to finding the perfect dog for you and the perfect homes for our dogs.”
If you’re interested in giving a dog a home this year, please visit www.battersea.org.uk to find out more.
- Battersea is here for every dog and cat, and has been since 1860. Since it was founded over 150 years ago, Battersea has rescued, reunited and rehomed over 3.1 million dogs and cats.
- We believe that every dog and cat deserves the best. That’s why we aim to never turn away a dog or cat in need.
- In 2017, Battersea helped over 7,000 dogs and cats.
- Battersea cares for an average of 300 dogs and 200 cats across its three centres at any one time.
- In addition to the site in South West London, Battersea also has two other centres based at Old Windsor, Berkshire and Brands Hatch, Kent.
- For further information on Battersea, please visit www.battersea.org.uk.
- Follow Battersea on Twitter @battersea_ or facebook.com/Battersea