BATTERSEA’S BOOMERANG PAIR STRUGGLING TO FIND A FAMILY THE SECOND TIME AROUND
A pair of mature Staffordshire Bull Terriers at Battersea Dogs & Cats Home in Old Windsor have been waiting for over 100 days to find their perfect home, but so far have not had any luck in finding a new family.
The pair’s owners adopted them separately from the Berkshire centre as young dogs. Sadly, through no fault of their own, nine-year-old Roxy and six-year-old Conkers have found themselves back at Battersea again after their owners’ circumstances changed.
The first time Roxy came to Battersea, she stayed for just 28 days, while Conkers stayed for 38. Since finding a home together, the duo has been inseparable.
But now, the pair are struggling to find the right owners and have now been at the centre for three times the average length of stay for a Battersea dog.
Sean Welland, Rehoming and Welfare Manager at Battersea Old Windsor said:
“When Roxy and Conkers came to Battersea as much younger dogs, they had no problems finding a new home. But, now that they’re slightly older, and are looking for a home as a pair, they’re really struggling to find a new family to live with.”
“Although they may be slightly more distinguished than before, Roxy and Conkers are still young at heart. They love nothing more than chasing one another around the garden or playing with toys and their favourite people.”
“Many people prefer to rehome younger dogs, as they will have them for longer and spend most of their lives with them. But older dogs definitely have their own advantages; this pair have some lovely manners in place already and have years of love to give. They would love for someone to give them a retirement home together.”
As Roxy and Conkers find being in kennels quite stressful, they are currently spending some time in a foster home. Now, they are looking for new owners with experience of bubbly bull breeds.
If you would like to give this pair the perfect retirement home, please visit www.battersea.org.uk.
Notes to editors
- Battersea is here for every dog and cat and has been since 1860. Since it was founded over 150 years ago, Battersea has rescued, reunited and rehomed over 3.1 million dogs and cats.
- We believe that every dog and cat deserves the best. That’s why we aim to never turn away a dog or cat in need.
- Battersea helps nearly 7,000 dogs and cats across its three centres and uses its expertise, influence, and voice to help thousands more animals all over the country and across the world.
- Battersea cares for an average of 250 dogs and 120 cats across its three centres at any one time.
- There is no time limit on how long an animal can stay at Battersea, but the average stay for a dog is 35 days and 23 days for a cat.
- In addition to the site in South West London, Battersea also has two other centres based at Old Windsor, Berkshire and Brands Hatch, Kent.
- For further information on Battersea, please visit www.battersea.org.uk.
- Follow Battersea on Twitter @battersea_ or facebook.com/Battersea