Bull Mastiff and three-legged Staffie come top at Battersea’s Annual Reunion
04 SEPTEMBER 2017
Hundreds of rescue dogs and their owners bounded to South West London this weekend for Battersea Dogs & Cats Home’s famous Annual Reunion.
Celebrity judges Holby City star Guy Henry and Kiss FM DJ Pandora helped choose the winners for a host of popular dog classes, which included Best Battersea Dog, sponsored by TrustedHousesitters.com, the world’s largest house and pet sitting business.
Sidney the five-year-old Bull Mastiff swooped the coveted prize – well-deserved after his rocky start to life. The five-year-old was last at Battersea London six months ago. This was not the first time he had been at the rescue centre however, having originally been found as a stray, Sidney was microchipped but after getting in touch with his owners, they never showed up to collect him. He eventually went home to Linda Parsons, where they are both living a happy life together.
Linda said: “Sidney is a great dog. He’s so friendly and soppy, I can’t imagine why anyone didn’t want to keep him. I’m so happy Sidney has won Best Battersea Dog and happy for Battersea too. We’re probably going to celebrate his win with too much food!”
Another dog who caught the judges’ eyes was Peggy the three-legged Staffordshire Bull Terrier, who was named Dog The Judges Would Most Like To Take Home.
Sweet little Peggy came into Battersea back in 2015 as a young pup. Her front left leg was already amputated when she arrived and so staff had no idea what had happened to her in the early stages of her life. Luckily, her owner, Natasha Maffioletti from North London fell in love as soon as she saw her.
Speaking about the win, Natasha said: “I came here wanting to enter Peggy into a few classes today. I really wanted Peggy to win something and she did! She’s such a star.”
Guy Henry, who rehomed a Lurcher from Battersea Brands Hatch in 2015, added: “I’m incredibly thrilled to be at the Annual Reunion again. I was here last year and it’s a real honour to have been invited back to judge for a second year. It’s always extremely difficult to pick a winner out of all the fabulous waggy-tailed contestants. I’d love for every dog to win a prize.”
Full list of winners from the Annual Reunion 2017
- Best Battersea Dog (sponsored by TrustedHousesitters.com) – Bull Mastiff, Sidney, owned by Linda Parsons
- Best Treat Catcher (sponsored by Red Carnation Group) – Staffie Cross, Aoife, owned by Adele Daniels
- Obedience Elimination (sponsored by Voo Vets) – Mongrel, Gustavito, owned by Marcia M Ruiz Rosado
- Golden Oldie (sponsored by Ancol) – English Springer Spaniel, Ben, owned by Hazell York
- Waggiest Tail (sponsored by Groom Room) – Staffie, Junior, owned by Louise Turner
- Dog The Judges Would Like To Take Home – Staffie, Peggy, owned by Natasha Maffioletti
- Loveliest Lady – won by Mongrel, Flo, owned by Claire Matthews
- Most Fabulous Fella (sponsored by Pet Pavilion) – Collie/Flat Coat Spaniel Cross, Bear, owned by Luke Martin
If you’re interested in adopting a Battersea dog like Sidney and giving them a second-chance visit www.battersea.org.uk
- Ends –
For more information and images please contact 020 7627 9333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
- Thanks to all other sponsors including Vets4Pets who sponsored the Tea Tent and Pedigree SE for providing the treats on the day.
- Hundreds of people and their dogs attended the Annual Reunion 2017.
- Other events at the Annual Reunion included a Staffordshire Bull Terrier Agility Display and a Battersea dog rehoming parade.
- The aim of the event is to raise vital funds for Battersea Dogs & Cats Home. Battersea receives no central government funding towards the care of its dogs and cats and relies on the generosity and support of the public to help care for the lost and abandoned cats and dogs.
- Since it was founded, Battersea has rescued, reunited and rehomed over 3.1 million dogs and cats.
- In 2016 the Home cared for over 7000 dogs and cats.
- Battersea cares for an average of 270 dogs and 200 cats across its three centres at any one time.
- In addition to the site in South West London, the Home also has two other centres based at Old Windsor, Berkshire and Brands Hatch, Kent.
- To make a donation visit our website or call 0207 627 7883.
- Follow Battersea on Twitter @BDCH or facebook.com/Battersea