Kennel Support Volunteer
- Reference:Kennel Support Volunteer
- Posts available:14
- Full/Part time:Volunteer
- Contract type:Volunteer
- Closing date:Sunday, July 22, 2018
Please consider the following very carefully before applying:
In this role you will come into contact with dogs that may be put to sleep due to behavioural reasons, on medical grounds or due to the dog being classed as an illegal breed under the legislation governing the Dangerous Dogs Act of 1991. Please consider this carefully before submitting your application.
We also ask that you only apply for this role if you are available to commit to all of the dates and times below:
- Assessment Day: 10:00 to 13:00 Monday 06 August 2018
- Induction and Training Day: 09:00 to 17:00 Tuesday 21 August 2018 OR 09:00 to 17:00 Wednesday 22 August 2018
- The day of your first shift: During the week commencing 27 August 2018
Why does Battersea need Kennel Support Volunteers (KSVs)?
This volunteer role is to provide vital support to our animal welfare staff in maintaining the health and welfare of dogs in Battersea’s Rehoming Kennels. This block has a mixture of dogs that are both assessed (ready to be rehomed), those that have just arrived, been returned or are still undergoing assessment.
As an KSV, you will make a huge difference to the lives of the dogs that come into Battersea, either as strays or from people who are no longer able to care for their animals. It takes time for dogs to settle in when they first arrive at the Home, and our KSVs play an essential role in supporting our staff to decrease stress levels as we find out about these dogs and maintain them in the kennel environment. It is an excellent opportunity to gain practical and theoretical knowledge of animal behaviour and training, and a chance to apply, learn and expand a wide range of skills.
How much time do I need to commit?
The requirement of this role is for one day per week (the same day), for a minimum of 6 months, from 8am – 5pm (includes breaks).
What will I be doing?
- Assisting in cleaning throughout the kennel block according to the Home’s hygiene guidelines
- Preparing meals for the dogs, washing up
- Helping to replenish stock of food, blankets and toys
- Ensuring that all dogs are provided with clean dry bedding by helping with the laundry
- Performing in-kennel enrichment sessions to alleviate stress
- Reporting any health or behaviour observations
- Carrying out relevant additional duties as required
What attributes are we looking for?
- Adequate physical fitness to carry out the duties associated with this role e.g. scrubbing kennels
- Strong interest in animal welfare, along with an understanding of animals within the rescue environment
- Ability to take instruction, as well as good verbal and written communication skills
- Positive, enthusiastic and self-motivated, whether working independently or as part of a team
- Ability to work in a busy, sometimes stressful and emotive environment
- Empathetic when dealing with others
What support will I get?
You will be mentored by the Rehoming & Welfare Assistants (RWAs) and Team Leaders working in the Rehoming Kennels, and receive on-going training from Battersea’s Canine Behaviour and Training Advisors (CBTAs).
Additional support will be provided by the Volunteer Department.
Where will I be volunteering?
Volunteering will take place in the Rehoming Kennels at Battersea Dogs & Cats Home (London Site).
How do I apply?
Please complete the online application form by midnight on Sunday 22 July 2018.